Saturday, July 21, 2007

Racket emanating

Nowdays you never know what to expect when you go to church. The other week I went to a small church in the middle of what a few decades ago was dense jungle, but now is a sprawling town in the middle of a swamp with no jungle in sight. A lot of places are getting these electronic keyboards these days. This church was no exception. I soon had to roll up wads of tissue and jam into my ears to make the acoustics bearable. The keyboardist seemed to think his job was to drown out any sign of human vocalizations. He even played during the prayers, loud enough to drown them out too. The sermon was also broadcast around the neighborhood, though I did not detect any signs of a crowd gathering outside to hang on the preacher’s words. In fact the two guys across the road digging a ditch continued their work oblivious to the racket emanating from the church. This was not a charismatic church either. (Those can usually be heard in the next county.) I must confess. I have sometimes wondered if the noise could possibly play a small part in some of the church burnings that occur in this country....

No comments: