Friday, February 29, 2008

Neo-colonization???

Yesterday while in a taxi, the driver asked if it was okay with us if he listened to the radio. We said "sure" wondering why he'd asked our permission. Usually it's not an option, what they play on the radio is what you have to listen to! He went on to explain that he wanted to listen to a prayer rally that was at that very moment occurring in the capital city. He further explained that he and his countrymen were disturbed at the "unrightousness" of their government and wanted the current president to resign. He said that the poor of the country were tired of the rulers' corruption and felt that the best thing would be for their country to just become part of the United States or Britain. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what to say so I didn't say anything. In fact I thought for sure I had misheard. (But later the lady with me said that she had heard the same thing.) Meanwhile he turned back to the radio program and we heard a speaker ask for the president's resignation to which a crowd cheered. The driver said with satisfaction that that speaker was a former president.

What gives?

No comments: