Friday, July 18, 2008

Never eat fish in the dark

The brownouts continue. During last night’s brownout it rained really hard with lightening and visceral-jarring thunder. There are a couple of kerosene lamps but the light is only enough to show you the big things. I decided to eat early since there’s not much else I could do in the dark. Dinner was what was left over from the group meal at lunch. The rice had the faintest whiff of starting to go off so it was best to eat it early anyway as it obviously wasn’t going to get any better later on. And with the constant brownouts refrigeration isn’t much of a help. As I was munching on a piece of a fish, I couldn’t really see it well. I thought I was avoiding the spine but somehow got a piece of it stuck in my throat. So here I am in the dark in a torrential downpour in a guesthouse by myself with a fishbone caught in my throat facing a two day weekend. I remembered being told that bread was good for fishbones caught in the throat and remembered seeing part of a loaf in the freezer compartment of the useless refrigerator. It wasn't frozen and although it was definitely on the old side, in the dim light I didn’t see any major discolorations or anything. So I quickly ate a piece. Like magic it cleared the obstruction. Whew!

Conclusion? Never eat fish in the dark!!

No comments: