Sunday, November 08, 2009

Three worlds

I spent a month in the second of my worlds. It is no joke that I call each of these three countries “worlds”, for that is what they are. The languages are different, the religions are different, the dress code is different, the food is different, not to mention customs, worldview, transportation, government, house layout, yard maintanence standards, medicines, even writing paper and pens!

I have noticed how the brain helpfully seems to compartmentalize experiences. When I am in the second of my worlds I automatically drive on the left side of the road. Remembering names of streets and shops is always difficult upon arrival for the first few days until the brain gets the proper file to the front. Visual memory is instant but the linguistic stuff seems to take a bit longer to get to the forefront. (That means that I can still get to places even if the names of the roads I need to take aren’t on the tip of my tongue.)

This trip I was to teach a 24-hour English course and fit in visits with three teams around that. The only problem was, that I didn’t know when the course would actually start or how many of the hours could be done in one day. This seems to be the way things operate. You make a plan but no need to figure out the details until the time comes to actually do it.
Anyway, I will post some notes from that visit.

No comments: