Saturday, August 12, 2006

Thou shall not kill

One of the things that has always amazed me about Asians, at least those who live in big cities, is the ability to live cheek and jowl without killing each other. I suppose it would help if everybody liked the same kind of music, and if everybody was not on the same schedule. I have desk in a big bright room. I share the room with 6 other people. It is incredibly hard to concentrate at times what with phone calls, people coming in and out to discuss everything. Good thing I am staying just down the hall and can work early and late. Finally got a couple of nagging projects finished today. It just takes persistence I guess.

But I am having to stay up later to get some quiet uninterrupted time, at the same time I can't sleep later in the morning because once people start getting up slamming doors, singing in the showers, etc, well, you get the idea. I wonder if anybody ever fell asleep while teaching a class?
Don't get me wrong. I am not at all bored, just sleeeeeepy. Got up even earlier today to go to church. It was a very interesting event but even so I had trouble not dozing off.

I boarded a city bus to get to an internet cafe. Too bad I didn't have a camera - to take a picture of me sitting sideways. Some of the seats are so close together that barely anybody's knees would fit behind the seat in front of them. I am glad the trip wasn't longer, on the other hand, it feels SOOOO good to finally get off and walk. The driver's assistent did a good job of packing every seat full. He would hop off at intersections and sort of direct traffic till the bus got through Then he'd hop on again. Must be a tiring job.

No comments: