Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's cold!

I have now arrived in the first of my worlds, am pretty much over jet lag, and can finally connect to the internet. (Now the challenge will be to try to keep warm enough that my fingers won’t be too stiff to type!) My first impression was that I was arriving in a police state. There were signs up as we approached the immigration hall announcing that we were entering a federal something-or-other zone and no cell phones, cameras, recording devices were permitted to be used while in the zone. We lined up and even the citizens’ line which is usually fast-moving was real slow. We also got to watch a couple of officials, hands on hip, chew out an Asian-looking guy. Real welcoming sight....

After being duly intimidated, we got to pick up our luggage and waltz thru customs and on out into the frigid rain. Brrr!

Did I mention that it was cold? One way to keep warm is to keep moving. And that is what I have done, getting back into the swing of driving at high speeds in the rain on the right side of the road, and visiting folk, going to a conference, grocery shopping, etc.

Not only is it cold, it is dark. Now that I am over jet lag I will have to use an alarm clock if I hope to get up at a reasonable time! After years of using the sun as a clock, it's a bit disorienting to have such a short day! And it will only get shorter!!

No comments: