Sunday, October 14, 2007

World switch

I have been travelling so much lately that sometimes it’s a challenge to keep my worlds straight! I just arrived in world 3 a week ago after having been in world 2 for a month. Now I am about to leave for world 1 for a couple of months. This requires not only a major adjusment in packing because of climatic considerations, but also a major reshuffle of the mental filing cabinet.

If you think of the human brain as a sort of filing system, then you can think of information being stored in files. So a big part of this travel is to keep the appropriate file folders at the front. Since it's been two years since I was last in the first of my worlds I have to dig out and dust off the world 1 files. They no doubt also need to be updated.

The file folders for the first of my worlds are quite fat. I need to re-remember names of places, streets, and products and update what has changed. I have to try to get back into time-consciousness. I won't be able to depend on the sun for my clock. I will also be driving a lot more as public transportation is non-existant where I will be (but at least road-construction season should be almost over!). Plus the whole of social interaction is different.

Anyhow, I will try to update this blog as I land jet-lagged into the midst of world 1. Stay tuned! :-)

No comments: